Become a Volunteer
FIRE DEPARTMENT VOLUNTEERS
APPLY BY: When listed on the City of Ontario's Current Job/ Volunteer Opportunities Web Page (www.ci.ontario.ca.us/employment)
Assists Fire Department personnel with various public education and support functions in its three Bureaus: Operations, Support Services/Emergency Management, and Fire Prevention. This is a volunteer position.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Assists with the preparation and presentation of Fire Education Programs.
- Assists with disaster preparedness programs.
- Performs public relations duties.
- Performs clerical duties.
- Monitors and maintains safety equipment and supplies.
- Performs other related duties.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Valid CA Class "C" Driver's License.
- Must be willing to volunteer a minimum of 5 hours a week.
- Alphabetical, numerical, and chronological filing methods.
- Correct English usage including spelling, grammar, punctuation, and vocabulary.
- Office procedures, methods, and equipment.
- Fire Service practices and methods, department rules, regulations and procedures.
- Public speaking preparation and presentation practices.
- Operate a computer using MS Office software.
- Operate standard, modern office equipment and machines.
- Maintain routine records/reports.
- Follow safety rules and regulations.
- Establish, foster, and maintain positive, harmonious working relationships with other volunteers/interns, supervisors, officials, and the public.
- Learn, understand, and follow department rules, policies, and procedures.
- Deal tactfully with people.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Coordinate, prepare, and present public education programs to large and small groups of students and members of the community.
- Ability to speak Spanish.
Volunteer applications are accepted online while the above reference position is listed on the City of Ontario's Current Job/ Volunteer Opportunities Web Page (www.ci.ontario.ca.us/employment). Paper applications are not accepted for this position
All applications will be screened and those candidates who present the most relevant qualifications for the position will be invited to continue on in the selection process.
All volunteer appointments are subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check (finger-print review) and participation in the City's Subsequent Arrest Notification Program while serving as a volunteer.