Return to FAQ

General Sewer Information

General Sewer Information

What to do in the Event of a Sewer Spill

Please report it Immediately!

Call Ontario Municipal Utilities at (909) 395-2678 Monday - Thursday 7:30 am - 5:30 pm and Friday 7:30 am - 4:30 pm, or if after hours call the Police Department at 911.

What is a sewer lateral?

The sewer lateral is the pipe that runs between the sewer main in the street and the building on your property.

My plumber says my sewer lateral is broken, and wants a lot of money to fix it. What should I do?

Before you sign a contract, determine if you are responsible. City staff can assist you in determining whether the problem is located in the public right-of-way. Call Ontario Municipal Utilities at (909) 395-2678 to request assistance. If it is determined that the portion you are responsible for needs repair, get several price quotes before signing a contract. For tips on how to find a licensed contractor, go to

How can I get a permit to do work on my property?

Permits are issued by the Building Department.  For information go to, visit the Building Department at City Hall (303 E. “B” Street), or call (909) 395-2023.

Are sewers and storm drains the same thing?

No, sewers and storm drains are not the same thing! Ontario’s sewers transport wastewater from indoor plumbing such as toilets, sinks, washing machines, and floor drains to a wastewater treatment plant where the water is “cleaned up” before being either re-used as recycled water for irrigation and other non-potable uses, or percolated into the groundwater basin, or released to the Santa Ana River. By contrast, the storm drain system simply transports water directly to groundwater percolation basins or to the Santa Ana River without any further treatment.

There are roots in my sewer lateral from a City tree. How can I get this corrected?

Call Ontario Municipal Utilities at (909) 395-2678 to report the problem.

My plumber said there’s a problem with my sewer lateral, and that the City will fix it. Is this true?

The City maintains the portion of the lateral that is located in the public right-of-way (e.g. under the sidewalk, in the parkway, or the street.) The portion of the lateral that is located on private property is maintained by the property owner.

Email Alerts

Sign up for personalized email alerts.

Stay Connected

Stay informed with the latest updates.