Help your Trees Survive the Drought
It is important to water your trees during the drought even if you have reduced the amount of water used for irrigating your turf. Please visit the following link to learn more about how to properly water a tree. Here are a few helpful tips:
- Young trees need to be watered twice week (about 5 gallons) while mature trees need to be watered once a week in several places (1-1.5 inches of rain).
- Water the drip zone area directly beneath the foliage.
- Water early in the morning or after the sun has set.
Pool Fill Request Form
Residents are required to get approval prior to filling or refilling a swimming pool. Please click here to fill out an online form.
Free Water Wise Gardening Workshops
The City of Ontario is hosting a series of free landscape workshops beginning in June. Come out and learn about water efficient plants, landscape designs, and water efficient irrigation systems. Please call (909) 395-2614 to register. The workshops will be held at the Ontario Museum of History & Art from 2 PM – 4 PM on the following dates:
- June 4 – Water Efficient Plants
- July 16 – Landscape Design Basics
- August 6 – Water Efficient Irrigation Systems
Drought Alert – Mandatory Water Restrictions
California is in its fourth consecutive year of record drought conditions. In response, on April 1, 2015, the Governor signed an Executive Order requiring a Statewide 25% reduction in potable (i.e. “drinking”) water use and additional Emergency Conservation Regulations. As part of these mandatory regulations, water suppliers like Ontario are required to implement Water Conservations Plans.
Based on the State’s Emergency Conservation Regulations, below are Ontario’s current water use restrictions:
- The State has mandated Ontario to reduce water use by 24%.
- No hose washing of sidewalks, walkways, driveways, parking areas or other paved surfaces
- No hose washing of an automobile without a fitted shut-off nozzle
- No public place (ie. restaurant) where food is served, shall serve water unless requested by customer
- No person shall water outdoor landscaping between the hours of 9 AM and 4 PM
- No person shall allow water to be applied to outdoor landscapes in a manner that causes runoff
- No filling or refilling empty swimming pools without permission from the City
- Newly constructed homes and buildings shall irrigate in a manner that is consistent with California Building Standards Commission and Department of Housing & Community Development
- Prohibit irrigating turf or ornamental landscape during and within 48 hours following measurable rainfall
- Operators of hotels and motels must provide guests with the option of choosing not to have towels and linens laundered daily and prominently display notice of this option