When To File Your Claim
The California Tort Claims Act (CTCA) sets out strict guidelines for ﬁling your claim with a governmental entity. You must ﬁle: Within 6 months of the incident for:
- Personal injury
- Damage to personal property
- Wrongful death
Within 1 year of the incident for:
- Breach of contract
- Damage to real property
- Equitable estoppel
How To File Your Claim
Government Code section 910.2 requires a claimant to sign a claim that is presented to the City. However, as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak and social distancing requirements, the City is temporarily waiving the requirement for an original signature on the claim form and you may submit your claim via online submittal (Claim for Damage to Persons or Property) or mail a hard copy with City Clerk / Records Management Department, 303 East B Street, Ontario, CA 91764 (Gov. Code Sec. 915a). *This document is subject to Public Disclosure.
This is a temporary measure to allow individuals to file claims online in an effort to prevent the transmission of COVID-19. At an appropriate time, this temporary measure will be no longer be necessary and original signatures will again be required.
False, misleading, incomplete or missing information may be grounds for delayed reviews and/or a rejection of claim.
After Filing Your Claim
The City of Ontario (City) has 45 days after receiving your claim to take action. The City’s Third-Party Administrator, Carl Warren & Company, on behalf of the Risk Management Department, will investigate your claim and will contact you to further discuss to determine liability as it pertains to the California Tort Claims Act. If the findings are supported per said statue, Carl Warren will contact you to further discuss. If the City rejects your claim, you will be notified via telephone and/or in writing.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: What happens after I file a claim?
- A: After you file your claim, an investigation involving multiple City departments begins.
- Q: How long does it take to get a response?
- A: You should receive a notification via mail and phone from a Carl Warren & Company adjuster within 3-5 days of receipt of claim.
- Q: What if I forgot to add something to an already filed claim?
- A: You may submit additional documentation at any time before a determination has been made. You may contact the adjuster from Carl Warren or the City of Ontario Risk Management Department at (909) 395-2041.