The Environmental Services Section is primarily responsible for the implementation of the City’s National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) program. The goals of the program are to educate residents, business owners and developers in Ontario on local stormwater pollution issues and Stormwater Best Management Practices (BMPs); control discharges to storm drains; reduce pollutants in stormwater runoff; reduce impacts of increased runoff from new development and promote on-site rainwater retention and infiltration.
The following highlights some of the program activities:
- Represent the City as a co-permittee of the San Bernardino County Regional Municipal Separate Stormwater Sewer System (MS4) permit;
- Regulate stormwater runoff as required by the MS4 permit;
- Inspect commercial and industrial businesses identified as potential stormwater polluters and enforce the NPDES Permit regulations;
- Inspect construction sites for compliance with the Ontario Municipal Code, San Bernardino County NPDES Permit, and statewide general permit regulations;
- Require New Development/Redevelopment Projects to prepare a Water Quality Management Plan (WQMP) and Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) in compliance with the regional MS4 Permit and Statewide General Construction Permit and review and approve of these documents, prior to issuance of Grading Permits;
- Educate developers, contractors, business owners, residents, and municipal employees on Stormwater BMPs;
- Control illicit connections to storm drains;
- Control or mitigate illegal discharges to storm drains;
- Control municipal facility operations and practices to prevent discharges of pollutants to storm drains.
For more information, please visit the San Bernardino County Website at:
For Construction General Permit (CGP) and Industrial General Permit (IGP) information, please visit the State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) Storm Water Multiple Application and Report Tracking System (SMARTS) Website at: https://smarts.waterboards.ca.gov
For information on Statewide Trash Provisions and the Certified Trash Full Capture System List of Trash Treatment Control Devices, please visit the SWRCB Trash Implementation Program Website at: https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/stormwater/trash_implementation.html