Programs and Services

Homeless Programs and Services

The City of Ontario’s award-winning continuum of care homelessness services program was established in 2005. Partnering with Mercy House, a local non-profit, the City takes a “wraparound services” approach to homeless services.  If you are interested in participating in being part of the solution or need assistance, please contact the City's Continuum of Care Manager, Natalie Komuro, at 909-395-2222 or Edward Amaya, Mercy House, at 909-737-7647.

For more information about Mercy House and the Ontario Access Center, visit our Continuum of Care page. 


For Additional Services:

211-United Way - Dial 211 for assistance.
An entry point for countrywide homeless services programs 

Mercy House Ontario Access Center - (909) 391-2630
435 S. Bon View Avenue, Ontario (cross street is Washington)
An entry point for Ontario's homeless services program

House of Ruth - (909) 988-5559 
Services for battered women and their children

Foothill Family Shelter - (909) 920-5568
1501 W. Ninth Street, Suite D, Upland
Transitional housing

SOVA Food Bank - (909) 391-4882
904 E. California Street, Ontario (cross street is Bon View Avenue)
Food, utility and rental assistance, hygiene kits

Salvation Army - (909) 986-6748
1412 S. Euclid Avenue, Ontario
Food pantry and hot meals provided

Veterans National Homeless Call Center, 24/7 - 1-877-4AID-VET (1-877-424-3838)

VA Loma Linda Health Care System, HCHV Program - 1-800-741-8387 or (909) 825-7084 ext. 6085 or 6071
11201 Benton St., 2nd Floor 2NW, Loma Linda
Housing Assistance and other services for homeless veterans


Housing Programs

Housing Overview & Programs

The City of Ontario's residential neighborhoods are a source of great pride, which the City demonstrates through its ongoing commitment to beautiful neighborhoods and encouragement of home ownership through several outstanding programs. Other affiliate housing programs are also available to qualified residents of Ontario offered by the County of San Bernardino.

Summary of Housing Programs

  • Looking for affordable housing in Ontario? We have multi-family, privately-owned, agency-owned, senior citizen and HUD housing projects within Ontario.
  • Are you a developer or a non-profit agency? We provide financial assistance if you are interested in building and acquiring/renovating single and multi-family units.
  • Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) and HOME Investment Partnership Act (HOME) are federal programs to benefit low-income families by funding community activities, capital improvements, resources for the homeless and a variety of affordable housing initiatives.
  • To encourage City of Ontario police officers to take an active role in the community, the Police Assistance Loan (PAL) Program offers down payment assistance to Ontario peace officers if they purchase homes within Ontario city limits.
  • Homebuyer assistance programs are also available through the County of San Bernardino's Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC) Program ( and State of California's CalHFA programs (
Affordable Housing Projects

Downloadable Files

Housing Development Assistance

Housing Development

  • Rehabilitation of Single Family
  • Rehabilitation of Multi-Family
  • Development of New Affordable Units-Including senior Complexes

Agency participation or financial assistance with the rehabilitation development of affordable housing in Ontario will be based on a number of factors including:

  • Scope of Project
  • Proforma 
  • Location of Development
  • Developer Experience
  • Developer Equity and Financial Strength

The Agency has the ability to issue multi-family Mortgage Revenue Bonds (MRBs), provide low-interest loans or grants for acquisition or rehabilitation of affordable housing projects. The type of assistance provided will be determined on a case by case basis.

Investors or developers wishing to obtain Agency assistance must submit a detailed proposal and financial proforma justifying the need for Agency assistance. 

MyHome Assistance Program


The MyHome Assistance Program offers applicants a deferred-payment junior loan up to 3% of the purchase price/appraised value of the mortgaged property in order to help make the down payment or pay the closing costs.


Contact the California Housing Finance Agency's Homeownership Division for an application. 


  • Must be a primary residence
  • Must successfully complete a homebuyer education counseling course
  • Homebuyers’ income must fall under certain MyHome limits, depending on the type of mortgage they have
  • Buyer must qualify as a first-time homebuyer

Available to

Income qualified California residents.

How to apply

Since CalHFA is not a direct lender, their mortgage products are offered through private loan officers who have been approved & trained by the Agency. These loan officers can help you find out more about CalHFA’s programs and guide you through the home buying process.

Visit the Find a Loan Officer page, to contact a loan officer in our area.


Who to call

California Housing Finance Agency
Los Angeles Office
100 Corporate Pointe, Ste. 250
Culver City, CA 90230
310-342-1250 or 877-9-CalHFA

Police Assistance Program


To encourage Ontario police officers to live within the City, a forgivable maximum 10-year loan of up to $10,000 is provided to help with the purchase of a new home or to reduce the balance of an existing first trust deed financing for current residences. The City will forgive 10% of the original loan amount for each 12-month period for ten years. 


Contact the City of Ontario Housing Department for an application. 


  • Must be sworn police officer with the City of Ontario
  • Must reside in the City of Ontario

Available to

  • City of Ontario Police officers only

How to apply

Apply in person at the City of Ontario Housing and Neighborhood Preservation Agency located at 208 W. Emporia Street, Ontario, CA 91762.

Who to call

City of Ontario Housing Department at (909) 395-2006.

Permanent Local Housing Allocation Plan

Downloadable Files

Conservation Home Improvement Program Loan


The City of Ontario is offering owner-occupied rehabilitation loans (not to exceed $25,000) to assist low-income homeowners (those with incomes at or below 80% of area median income adjusted for household size) to make energy and water conservation improvements to their properties.

Qualified households selected to participate in the Loan Program will be provided financial assistance in the form of a deferred loan. The loan is a zero (0%) percent interest, 30-year, deferred payment loan secured by a promissory note and deed of trust. FUNDING IS LIMITED. LOANS ARE FUNDED ON A FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED BASIS.

How to Apply

Contact the City of Ontario Housing Department for an application.


  • Must be owner-occupied properties located within designated program area.
  • A manufactured housing unit located on a rented space in a mobile home park is ineligible.
  • All people living in the property and all persons listed on the title of the property, who are at least 18 years old, must have their income evaluated in determining household income. The applicant’s annual gross household income must be at or below the following limits:
Family Size 2021 Annual Maximum Household Income Limits (80%AMI)
1 $49,300
2 $56,350
3 $63,400
4 $70,400
5 $76,050
6 $81,700
7 $87,300
8 $92,950

Who to Call

Hannah Mac Kenzie

City of Ontario Housing Department

Project Manager


Downloadable Files

Downloadable Files