Landscape Transformation Program-$2.50/square foot
Ontario residents and businesses are eligible to receive $2.50/square foot for replacing turf with drought tolerant plants. Interested residents can visit www.socalwatersmart.com for more information and to apply. The rebate is based on availability of funding. Please contact 909-395-2614 if you have any questions. Please refer to the Landscape Transformation Program flyer below for more information.
WEWAC Media Contest
The media contest is open to all 7th-12th graders in the WEWAC service area which includes Ontario. Students can submit a broadcast media or digital art entry. Winners in first, second and third place will win money for their schools. All entries must be postmarked or delivered by February 14, 2019. Please visit the following website for more information: https://www.usewaterwisely.com/#Media_Contest_Description. The flyer, registration and judging forms are available on this page in the file section below.
WEWAC Scholarship Program
The Water Education Water Awareness Committee is offering high school seniors, within the WEWAC service area, the chance to win one of four scholarships of $1,500. Students must submit an essay about the following topic: Water Crisis: how would you solve a national water crisis that has occured in the last five years? The flyer and application are available as downloadable files. The deadline to submit an essay is January 24, 2019; please refer to the application for specific instructions.
Smartscape Landscape Care and Maintenance Site Visit
Do you need some landscape help or advice? Ontario residents are eligible for a free Smartscape Landscape Care and Maintenance site visit. Please visit https://www.ieua.org/use-water-wisely/smartscape-landscape-care-and-maintenance-site-visit/ and fill out the online application.
Residential Landscape Design Assistance Program
Ontario residents are eligible for free landscape design services. Residents can get a free landscape design of their yard. The program requires a $50 deposit for participation that is fully refundable if the landscape project is significantly completed within 6 months of design appointment date. Please visit https://www.cbwcd.org/186/Landscape-Design for more information.
Ontario will be hosting free mulch giveaways on the following dates from 7AM-2PM. Residents must bring an ID, a utility bill showing proof of residence in Ontario and a containter(s) to put mulch into.
- April 12, August 16, December 6 2019-Galvin Park (1072 N Grove Avenue)
- April 13, August 17, December 7 2019-Cucamonga City Yard (1440 S Cucamonga Street)
Please call 909-395-2633 if you have questions.
FREE Smart Controller Upgrade Program – available to qualifying Ontario Homeowners
- Retrofit of existing irrigation controller/timer with a new "smart" controller
- Assistance with programming the "smart" controller
- Evaluation of how water is being used at the home and recommendations for improvement
- Available for properties under 1/4 acre and over 1/4 acre
- Resident must have a working sprinkler system and a non weather based irrigation controller
- To apply, click here
FREE Landscape Evaluation
Every Drop Counts, Keep Saving Ontario
Congratulations Ontario Residents and businesses! With your help, Ontario has achieved a 10% water savings since July 2016. Due to improved water conditions statewide, the State Water Resources Control Board has removed mandatory conservation targets. In response, on June 21, 2016, the City eliminated excess water use penalties. The recent water saving efforts and local water supply investments ensure that Ontario has adequate local water supply. Please keep in mind that California has entered its fifth year in a drought and Ontario is still in Stage 2 water restrictions. The goal of Stage 2 water restrictions is to save 10-20%.
Below are Ontario’s Stage 2 water use restrictions:
- No hose washing of sidewalks, walkways, driveways, parking areas or other paved surfaces
- No hose washing of an automobile without a fitted shut-off nozzle
- No public place (ie. restaurant) where food is served, shall serve water unless requested by customer
- No person shall water outdoor landscaping between the hours of 9 AM and 4 PM
- No person shall allow water to be applied to outdoor landscapes in a manner that causes runoff
- No filling or refilling empty swimming pools without permission from the City
- Newly constructed homes and buildings shall irrigate in a manner that is consistent with California Building Standards Commission and Department of Housing & Community Development
- Prohibit irrigating turf or ornamental landscape during and within 48 hours following measurable rainfall
- Operators of hotels and motels must provide guests with the option of choosing not to have towels and linens laundered daily and prominently display notice of this option