Debra was first elected to the Ontario City Council in December of 2008 after serving the community in various capacities during her 38 years as a resident of Ontario.
Debra’s primary focus continues to be her commitment to maintain and create jobs in Ontario and ensure that residents, businesses and visitors are provided the best Police and Fire/Paramedic services the region has to offer.
As a registered nurse, she understands the importance of community and employee disaster/earthquake preparedness and she encourages residents and employees to include a 2 week supply of food and water in their home emergency kits.
Debra is active throughout the City. Revitalization of Downtown continues to be important to her as the area is the historic heart of Ontario. Her engagement is reflected in the development of the “Arts and Culture District” where the City boasts both the “Ontario Museum of History and Art” and the “Chaffey Community Museum of Art”. Downtown will see a new BBQ restaurant at the historic Bank of Italy building and a Starbucks at Euclid and E Street by December 2020. The Ontario Ranch area will see a new Stater Bros. shopping center with support retail and specialty restaurants. Stater Bros.’ grand opening is planned for November 2020. Debra has been a champion of bringing a strong economic development approach to Ontario and will continue to focus on cultural development and job creation. Debra supports Mercy House, the City’s non profit partner, who provides housing and comprehensive support services to Ontario’s vulnerable populations.
Prior to her election to the Ontario City Council she served as:
- An elected member of the Ontario-Montclair School Board
- An appointed member of the Ontario Planning Commission
- A member of the Ontario Community Block Grant Committee
- San Bernardino County Museum Commissioner
- Ontario-Montclair School District Measure "T" Oversight Committee
Debra has been an active member of many Ontario non-profit and service organizations such as:
- Ontario Kiwanis
- Ontario Heritage Society
- Founding member of Ontario's "Kids Come First Clinic"
- Vietnam Memorial Wall Co-Chair
Education and Distinctions: Associate Degree (Citrus College); Bachelor’s Degree in nursing (Cal State Los Angeles); Ontario Chamber of Commerce Leadership Award; Ontario Police Citizens Academy Graduate; Leadership Connection Graduate, Completed the Masters in Governance Series from the California School Board Association and has taken the Master Gardener Series of classes.
Debra is a mother, grandmother, daughter, sister and aunt. She has worked as a registered nurse in various fields for over 39 years. Her hobbies include gardening and volunteering. Debra is known to frequent the Sunday morning walking group that meets at 8am at the R. Jack Mercer Community Bandstand at Euclid Avenue and C Street for a 3-mile walk up and down Euclid. Email her with questions using the link provided on this page.
- Council Member, City of Ontario
- 2020 Mayor pro Tem
- Board Member, Ontario Housing Authority
- Board Member, Ontario Industrial Development Authority
- Board Member, Ontario Redevelopment Financing Authority
- Chino Valley Unified School District - Measure M Oversight Committee
- California League of Cities Inland Empire Division
- Ontario Chamber of Commerce Liaison
- Ontario Heritage Liaison
- Museum of History and Art - City Council Liaison
- Ontario Library Board of Trustees - City Council Liaison
- School Districts Liaison