Below is a list of programming, activities and events that are being held throughout the month of February in celebration of National Black History Month.
Ontario City Library
Ovitt Family Community Library
- Book Displays
- African American leaders
- Model Colony History Room local materials display (upstairs display cabinet)
- Heroes and Legends
Thursday, February 10
6 PM – 7 PM
- Heroes and Legends
Lewis Family Branch
Special display of Dr. Byron Skinner’s book Black Origins in the Inland Empire and an accompanying display with excerpts from the book. The book on display is from the Model Colony History Room collections.
Ontario Museum of History & Art
- Silk Screen Workshop: Celebrate Black Excellence
Saturday, February 5
1 PM – 3 PM
- Artist Talk: Black Artists in the Inland Empire
Friday, February 25
5 PM – 6:30 PM
Recreation & Community Services
Westwind Community Center
Spill the Tea: Painting and Boba
Friday, February 18
6 PM – 8 PM
De Anza Community & Teen Center
- Outdoor baseball activity to bring recognition to Jackie Robinson #42
- Brainy Bunch Program Weekly activities to include science experiments/lessons highlighting African American scientists.
For more information including specific days and times of activities, please call (909) 395-2030.
Dorothy A. Quesada Community Center
Each week in February, participants ages 7-12 years old will be introduced to African American scientists and artists during the STREAM program.
For more information including specific days and times of activities, please call (909) 395-2300.
Anthony Muñoz Community Center
- Art Gallery Display and Scavenger Hunt
- Black History Spotlight Display
- Black History Coloring Contest
For more information including specific days and times of activities, please call (909) 395-2622.
Ontario Senior Center
- Black History Month Trivia game: February 14 – 18
- 10 question trivia game based on Black culture: Art, Music, Inventions, etc.
- Winners will be notified on Tuesday, February 22
- Participants can pick up sheets from the front counter staff
- There will be two Winners
For more information including specific days and times, please call the Ontario Senior Center at (909) 395-2021.
Ontario On the Go
Offering a variety of art projects and lessons celebrating Black History Month
- Sam Alba Park: Tuesday, February 22 from 1:30 PM – 4:30 PM
- James R. Bryant Park: Wednesday, February 23 from 2:30 PM – 5:30 PM
- John Galvin Park: Thursday, February 24 from 2:30 PM – 5:30 PM
Tiny Tot Program
- Incorporation of Black History age-appropriate books and lessons during storytime
**fee-based, not drop-in