Zip Books is another way for you to request books not owned by Ontario City Library. The item is shipped directly to you using Amazon Prime. After it is returned, the Library can add the item to its collection for others to check out. This service is available to anyone with a valid Ontario City Library card. There no charge for requests, and up to five requests can be in process at a time.
- be 18+ years old.
- have an Ontario City Library account in good standing.
- have fewer than five Zip Books ordered this calendar month.
- have fewer than five Zip Books out at the time of ordering.
- have fewer than $60 worth of purchases this calendar month.
Acceptable Zip Books requests are:
- regular/large print books sold on Amazon for less than $50 including tax and shipping.
- CD audiobooks sold on Amazon for less than $60 including tax and shipping.
- not currently on the New York Times Best Seller List.
- not currently in the OCL catalog.
- not textbooks, study guides, or workbooks.
All Zip Books are on loan for a six-week period (42 days) starting on the day they are delivered. Zip Books cannot be renewed or re-requested at check-in. Patrons with books more than six weeks overdue will not be able to request additional books until the previous books are returned.
Submitting a Zip Books Request
- Fill out the Zip Books Request Form.
- Within 10 business days, Library staff will email to let you know if your book has been purchased, or let you know why it could not be ordered. Most orders arrive within three days of the notification email being sent.
- Keep the item for up to six weeks. When you are finished, return item to a staff member at any Ontario City Library during open hours (Please do not return to a book drop.)
Zip Books is a grant project provided in partnership with the California State Library and the NorthNet Library System. It is supported by California Library Services Act funds.
UPDATE: During the Covid-19 situation, we are not offering ILL Services.
- The library provides interlibrary loan services to customers who wish to borrow books that are not available in our library. The cost for this service is $2.00 per request, payable when books arrive at the library, whether or not books are picked up by the requesting customer.
- This service is available for printed books. Some books are not available for borrowing through inter-library loan. We cannot borrow DVD's, books on CD (audiobooks), eBooks, or any other digital or electronic materials. Requests for these materials will be automatically canceled without notice and no fee will be charged
- Requests may be made by logging into your library account and searching the library catalog for books, Reference staff can assist with this process. You may have up to 5 active inter-library loan requests at one time.
- Special requests for microfilm and genealogy materials must be made in person at the library. In these cases, a paper form is filled out and paid directly to the lending library may be required before the request is made, depending on the policy of the lending library.
- Books requested through interlibrary loan may be borrowed for up to 3 weeks. The cost for lost or damaged materials is determined by the lending library, and the customer placing the request is responsible for these costs.